Sending fragile items, whether delicate artwork or glassware, requires a special touch. In this blog, we'll walk you through the steps to ensure your fragile package reaches its destination intact.
Step 1: Choose the Right Packaging Materials
Selecting the appropriate packaging materials is crucial when dealing with fragile items. Here's a checklist of essentials:
- Sturdy Boxes: Choose a box that is strong enough to support the weight of your item and provides enough space for cushioning.
- Bubble Wrap or Foam Padding: Wrap your fragile item generously in bubble wrap or foam padding to provide a protective layer.
- Packing Peanuts or Crumpled Paper: Fill empty spaces in the box with packing peanuts or crumpled paper to prevent movement during transit.
- Tape: Use strong packing tape to secure the box and ensure it stays intact during its journey.
Step 2: Securely Pack Your Fragile Item
Now that you have your materials, let's pack your fragile item with care:
- Wrap It Up: Start by wrapping your item in bubble wrap or foam padding. Pay extra attention to delicate parts, corners, and edges.
- Cushion the Box: Place a layer of packing peanuts or crumpled paper at the bottom of the box. Carefully position your wrapped item in the center and surround it with additional cushioning.
- Fill Empty Spaces: Ensure there are no gaps around your item. Fill any remaining empty spaces with more packing materials to prevent movement.
- Seal the Box Securely: Once your item is snugly in place, seal the box with packing tape. Reinforce the seams and edges for added security.
- Fragile stickers should be put on the box so the carrier is aware to handle it carefully.
Kindly note that not all fragile items can be sent to all locations of the world. See the list of prohibited items here.
Now that your fragile item is securely packaged, it's time to schedule a pickup using the Terminal Africa app:
- Open the app and log in to your account.
- Click on Book Shipment, and put in the sender’s and receiver’s addresses.
- Add the details of the fragile item you want to ship.
- Choose a carrier for your shipment, select insurance, and make payment.
As shown in this article, sending fragile items can be stress-free with the right techniques. By following these easy steps, you can package your fragile items securely and trust that they will arrive at their destination in pristine condition.
Learn about various types of packaging materials here.